Thursday, July 15, 2010

PRACTISE (and pancakes) and listening to myself


(having to be really brave here to post this photo - this is a picture from my Suzi Blu Piety and Passion course and i hate it)

Today i was being short order cook, making pancakes for 4 girls (sleepover, school holidays)

The eldest girls were drawing on big peices of paper i gave them (yes, BIG), while the youngest were still tucked up upstairs, reading.

Girl 1 said "I am useless at drawing dogs."

and i said "How often do you practise?"

she looked at me a bit confused.

I said "Do you draw a dog everyday?"

"No"

"Well how much did you have to practise to learn to ride a bike?"

"Lots"

"Well it's like that with drawing. You have to practise and make mistakes and practise and learn, until you can draw dogs you like"

As i flip my 12th pancake i think about how i apply that to myself.

Do i practise and practise?

Do i learn from the mistakes i make?

Do i do it and do it and do it again until i make marks I am pleased with (not necessarily ones that look like a dog or that others will recognise as a dog, but that my heart looks at and says DOG!)

i should listen to myself a lot more often.

4 comments:

  1. and as a YES from the universe i found this from the daily love in my inbox

    "I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business."


    - Michael J. Fox, actor.

    "Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."


    - Aristotle, Greek philosopher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent reminder of something we forget too often as adults.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! you SHOULD listen to yourself more often!
    shouldn't we all?! love that.....love the reminder! you can flip pancakes and talk wisdom to me any day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh!!! This is SO, So true!!! Thank you for the lovely reminder ~ I may have to put this in a painting!!

    HAIL the BIG one!!!

    ReplyDelete