Monday, December 27, 2010

new name and trusting i will be ok REVERB10


Becca Wilcott
Truly, Madly, Deadly: The Unofficial True Blood Companion
@beccawilcott

Prompt: New name. Let's meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why?
reverb10.com


I would introduce myself as Moana because it means ocean in Maori. I am deeply connected to the sea and to Aotearoa.

I am from Celtic bloodlines and feel pain about being connected to this land by emotion alone… my whenua (placenta) is not buried somewhere here, nourishing the earth I love so much. My turangawaewae (place to stand) is not acknowledged anywhere and yet my feet feel greeted by parts of this earth so I know that we are family. My Tipuna (ancestors) come from a cold and gentle country miles and miles away, connected by the ocean. Some were born here but I will never be Tangata Whenua (people of the land)

And often I wish I was.

I have claimed Maori heritage when strangers have been racist in the past – mostly to shut them up. But my heart wishes I did have a right to claim that status.

But I don’t.

So maybe I could be Maeve instead. Celtic warrior Goddess heroine of my heart – whose traditions mirror those in Maoritanga that I feel so drawn to and whose hand I hold when I need courage.

Or maybe I could be Moana Maeve.

Yep that works





Author: Kate Inglis
The Dead Crew
@sweetsalty

Prompt: Everything's OK. What was the best moment that could serve as proof that everything is going to be alright? And how will you incorporate that discovery into the year ahead?

When I thought Colin might die and I took matters into my own hands, when I showed courage, called in favours unashamedly and he didn’t die.

When I wasn’t sure if my work was good enough but I did the market anyway and I sold stuff.

When I put myself out there and it didn’t work and still it was ok

And then something better came along….

All of these things have lead me to trust that all is well. That kind of deep feeling that can wobble a bit from time to time but is rooted in the deepest part of me and is like part of who i am.

Every day I know I am in the care of a benevolent universe that has good things in store for me… that has love and wonder for me…

I know all is well.

Truely

3 comments:

  1. How do you pronounce "Moana"??

    And how do you say "Mermaid" in Maori?

    And hugs, hugs, hugs ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that I think Maeve is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hullo my friends... Moana is pronounced like the mo in more then an ah sound then a nah sound and the emphasis is on the middle syllable...

    i don't think they have a word for Mermaid in Maori although they have fearsome water creatures called Taniwha who still stir up a lot of trouble...

    ReplyDelete